Willow Construction was chosen to build a new home for the Ocean View Police Department. With its proximity to the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, the new police facility was also constructed to be used as a command center for emergency services in the event of a serious weather event. Stakeholders included Homeland Security, Delaware State Police, and Delaware Department of Transportation. Special construction methods were used to meet Miami Dade County, Florida standards for high winds and excessive rain accumulation. The windows and doors were selected to withstand the impact of flying debris and the roofing shingles can withstand 100 miles per hour winds. The emergency generator is capable of providing power for the entire facility. Additionally, there is an 800-megahertz radio system with ability to be upgraded and compressed air outlets to inflate temporary mattresses. The first floor is dedicated to the Police Station while the Town Manager, Town Administrative Official, and the Administrative and Finance staff are located on the second floor, accessible by elevator.
Project Challenges & Solutions
- Limited space was available between floors to house the mechanical and electrical systems. Careful coordination was required to accommodate the installation of these systems.
- Secure holding cells were built with concrete and reinforced masonry.
- The project included a controlled access security system with cameras and bullet proof glazed openings.
- The security, data, and communication systems were designed to be upgraded in the future when newer systems become available.
Accolades & Awards
- 2007 Associated Builders and Contractors Excellence in Construction Excellence Award