Willow Construction built a new structural steel, split-face block church that is the first phase of a two-phase church development project. The mechanical system includes a geothermal well field and water source heat pump equipment. The coordination of the structural steel supports for the owner-furnished crosses challenged the design and construction team.
Project Challenges & Solutions
- The coordination and installation of the well fields under the parking lot, site concrete, and septic system installation were completed seamlessly. This was done with the help of the site contractor, who was a member of the congregation and worked directly for the church.
- The roof support steel and bar joists were value engineered to meet the owner’s budget. Our contractors still accomplished the owner’s desire to have unobstructed views within the sanctuary.
Awards & Accolades
- 2010 AIA Delaware Design Award
- Featured in the 2008 Real Estate & Construction Reviews Magazine, Eastern Seaboard Edition
- 10,102 square feet
- Lewes, Delaware
- Guaranteed Maximum Price
- Owner: Lewes Church of Christ
- Architect: Davis, Bowen & Friedel, Inc.